Monday, April 4, 2011

My Third Interview

Process Description:

For my third interview I decided to use the same flow chart that was so beneficial to me while conducting my second interview.

  1. Set objectives/goals for the interview
  2. Get hold of a recorder to help conducting the interview
  3. Inform the interviewee about the purpose of the interview
  4. Make arrangements for meeting the interviewee( Work according to her schedule since he is helping me)
  5. Conduct the interview, use the recorder as well
  6. Go over the recorded interview at home and write the transcript of the interviews
  7. Write my personal review about the interview
  8. Thank the interviewee for his time
  9. Revise the transcript
  10. Revise citations
  11. Post the interview on the blog before the due date.
In my opinion, my process worked very well because I did not wait for the last minute to conduct the interview. I gave myself ample time to get the job done. The hardest part was arranging a time for the interview since both my interviewee and I had very busy schedules.Moreover, transcribing the interview was not as hard as it was during the first two interviews.

For my third interview, I have actually conducted two interviews. I thought my first interview went alright but when I started to transcribe, it did not feel too good for me. Hence, I ended up interviewing a second person, who I had kept as a back up. I thought the second interview went reasonable well.

Personal Review of the Interview:

I think the interview went pretty smoothly. We were not as comfortable as the first two interviews which I conducted, but I thought it was still very good. Moreover, Dilukshi ( my interviewee) has really helped me out since my original third interview was below par, in my opinion.

During the interview I though Dilukshi was a little hesitant about sharing her experiences with racism. She mentioned those instances but she did not go into much detail about them. Therefore, I decided to change the topic so that she does not feel uncomfortable. Moreover, my interview did not last as long as I would have loved it to be since Dilukshi had some prior obligations. At the end of the day, I was happy with the end result





Country Report:


       Sri Lanka is a small country in South-East Asia. I took advantage of the World Fact Book to find out information about Sri Lanka. From an article in the World Fact Book, I have learned the following things . It is believed that the first Sinhalese arrived in Sri Lanka in the 6th century B.C. from northern India. Buddhism started to spread in Sri Lanka in the middle of the third century. A Tamil kingdom was established in Sri Lanka in the 14th century and coastal areas of the island where under the control in the 16th century. The Dutch came to control the coastal areas in the early 17th century. The country was under the rule of the British Empire during the late 17th century. The country was formerly known as Ceylon and became an independent country in 1948. The country was renamed as Sri Lanka in 1972. A war started to take shape between the Sinhalese, the majority of the population, and the Tamil separatists in 1983. Norway catalyzed peace negotiations and the two groups decided to give effect to a cease fire in 2002. However, war resumed in 2006 and the Sri Lankan military finally overthrew Velupillai Prabhakaran, the leader of the Liberation tigers of Tamil Eelam, in 2009.

       The article further goes on to mention that the capital city of Sri Lanka is Colombo. The country is also divided into nine different provinces: Central, Eastern, North Central, Northern, North Western, Sabaragamuwa, Southern, Uva, and Western. The currency of Sri Lanka is Sri Lankan Rupee (SLP). Human trafficking for commercial sexual exploitation is a high profile issue in Sri Lanka. Most of the time young children are the victims of human trafficking for commercial sexual exploitation and forced labor.


Note: ( Source World fact Book (1))

       I was also able to retrieve vital information on Sri Lanla from another website. This website mentioned that " Sri Lanka is about half the size of England and lies close to the southern tip of India and near the equator. From the coast, the land rises to a central massif more than 1500 m above sea level. The climate is hot and humid - monsoon from May to September and the north-east monsoon from November to March: rainfall, particularly in the south-west, is heavy.

       Sri Lanka was severely affected by the tsunami on 26 December 2004, which killed some 40,000 people and displaced 400 – 500 thousand people along two thirds of the north-east, south and south-west coastline. Half the fishing fleet was destroyed, and a quarter of hotels in the affected areas sustained serious damage." (2)



.
        Volleyball is the national sport of Sri Lanka. However, cricket is by far the most popular sport in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka’s national team won the ICC Cricket World Cup in 1996 which has certainly helped immensely in making it the most popular sport in the country. The national team also reached the finals of the 2007 ICC Cricket World Cup but only to lose to the defending World Champions Australia.

References:

(1) Information paraphrased from
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ce.html accessed on February 28, 2011

(2)  Information retrieved from http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/country-profile/asia-oceania/sri-lanka?profile=all accessed on February 28, 2011.



.

Transcript of The Interview:


Interviewer: Asif Hussain (AH)

Interviwee: Dilukshi Abeysundara (DA)
Country: Sri Lanka

AH: Hello. My name is Asif Hussain.

DA: Hi. I am Dilukshi Abeysundara .

AH: Where are you from Dilukshi?

DA: I am from Sri Lanka. What about you?

AH: I am from Bangladesh. Very close to Sri Lanka.

DA: Very close indeed.

AH: So how was your day?

DA: I had a very long day. Wednesdays are my longest days since I have to attend classes and then work.

AH: I see. Well at least the weekend is pretty near.

DA: I live for the weekends.

AH: Well Dilukshi, thank you for your time to help me out. This is actually a project fro my English class. Our assignment is to interview International students.

DA: OK.

AH: Is it okay if I record this interview?

DA: Yes. Sure.

AH: First off I would like to ask you why you decided to come to the United States  and to St. Cloud State University instead of studying or working in your home country?

DA: Well, I always wanted to study in the United States. As I was going over my options, I noticed that St. Cloud State University did not have that high of tuition and fees compared to other schools. Moreover, I was also eligible for an International student scholarship which further decreased the cost of school for me.

AH: Was it difficult for you to adjust to life in the U.S?

DA: Actually it was. I was not used to living away from my parents. Moreover, I was also not used to cook for myself. When I first moved here, it was like a new world to me. Now I am a lot better off because I have learned how to cook.

AH: How long have you not seen your parents?

DA: Actually they came here during winter break. But this was the first time I saw them in over a couple of years.

AH: And before they came to visit, how were you able to keep in touch with them?

DA: Mostly through Skype and they would call me on my cell phone once in a while.

AH: So Dilukshi, can you please tell me what the education system is like in Sri Lanka?

DA: Well, in my high school we followed the British education system. I had to take " Ordinary Level" and " Advanced Level" exams. Most of the Universities in Sri Lanka are government owned. They are pretty good but it is very hard to get into them since they can only accommodate a limited number of students.

AH: Have you faced any difficulties in SCSU where English is the dominant language?

DA: To some extent yes. Back in Sri Lanka, we did learn English since we followed the British education system. However, the quality of my English is not up to the standards pf the domestics students here. Hence, especially in a English writing class, my assignments were not the best.

AH: Is this the same for all students who come to SCSU from Sri Lanka?

DA: More or less I suppose. Some of us have exceptionally good English.

AH: And how different is the climate here to that of Sri Lanka?

DA: Very different. We never get any snow. Moreover, it stays very hot for most parts of the year.

AH: Was it difficult for you to live in the cold?

DA: At first it was really difficult. But I was very interested in experience it. And sometimes a little change is good for you.

AH: What kind of foods did you eat in Sri Lanka?

DA: A lot of curry. As you may know, Sri Lanka is an island. Hence, there are a lot of coconut trees in Sri Lanka. We used coconut in most of our foods.

AH: How do you like the food here?

DA: It's okay. I mostly cook at home so I usually get to eat the kind of food I ate back home. They hardest part is cooking for yourself. I do go to some of the Chinese restaurants here and I absolutely love them.

AH: You have mentioned the food and climate of Sri Lanka, but what do you miss the most about your country?

DA: Definitely my parents. I was brought up in a culture where the family ties are very strong. My family was always involved in my life. I miss them the most.

AH: How would you describe the family ties in a typical American country?

DA: Strong to a certain extent. However, most children start doing their own thing when they are 18 years or so. They move out of their parents house and their parents are not always aware of what their children are up to. It is very different in Sri Lanka?

AH: How so?

DA: Well, children do not move out of their parents' houses until they get married. Sometimes they will still live with their parents after they get married.

AH: Would you  say that this a cultural difference between Sri Lanka and St. Cloud?

DA: Not only between Sri Lanka and St. Cloud but also between Sri Lanka and the United States in general. Here, some of my American friends have told me that that they started getting embarrassed living with their parents when they turned 18 or 19. They could not wait to rent their own and have their own car.

AH: Do you think other cultural differences exists between the two countries?

DA: Yes. The people of Sri Lanka are extremely social. I knew all of my neighbours back home. However, here in St. Cloud, this is not the case. I have not had the opportunity  to speak to the girl who lives in the next apartment. There is a more sense of community back in Sri Lanka.

AH: Did you experience any sort of racism in the United States?

DA: Yes  I did.

AH: Would you be willing to share some of your experiences?

DA: Well, in most cases it was in downtown St. Cloud. A few drunk people made stereotypical Indian jokes where as I am not from India. I try to avoid such circumstances.

AH: Well moving on, I really want to know who take care of the finances in your family in Sri Lanka?

DA: My father. He is the only one who works. My mother is a house-wife.

AH: Okay. Now on to my second financial question. Does your mother have a say in how your father spends his money?

DA: Actually, my father hands his pay check to my mother. She usually decides how to allocate these funds. My father trusts my mother a lot and feels she knows better how to spend the money to benefit the family.

AH: Wow! That is great. Dilukshi, how has your life changed after coming here?

DA: Immensely. I have grown as a person and have had to come out my shell. I am still a shy person but I feel more confident in my abilities and mental strength. I have learned how to interact with people from different culture but most importantly, I have learned how to live on my own. Although it has been a very tough experience, I am glad I decided to study in the United States. It has definitely made me a better person.

AH: Well thank you Dilukshi for your inputs. this interview has been a great educational experience for me. Is there anything that you would like ask me?

DA: Yes. When you transcribe, can you please send me a copy as well? I would like to see your finished work.

AH: Most certainly. I will make sure you get a copy. Thank you very much for your time. I hope we can still keep in touch.

DA: Definitely. Have a good day.

AH: You too.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment